Joomla is an open source content management system, which means that the source code used to develop the plstform is freely available to the community at large. A vast community of users and developers and a design that makes it easy to attach plug-ins means that the functionality of Joomla is rapidly expanding. Currently, there are more than 7,000 known extensions for Joomla, each of which adds even greater versatility to Joomla applications.
Extensions can enhance the look and feel of Joomla sites. For example, BoxPlus is an extension that allows you to add a pop-up window to your site that shows pictures and videos and other multi-media content. You can add social media to your site by using Facebook “Like” and “Share” button plug-ins. There are extensions in many different categories that allow sites to do new things.
A critical function for a website is the ability to be ranked by the major search engines so that your website will appear in search results with keywords. This is called Search Engine Optimization and, for a time, Joomla had a reputation of not being SEO-friendly.
The beauty of the open source Joomla community is the ability of developers to address these problems. The answer has been the development of many extensions that can enhance the SEO ability of your Joomla site:
- iJoomla SEO allows you to reduce the time you spend on SEO functions by managing all your meta tags in one convenient place. You can watch keywords on Google and mark important keywords as “sticky.”
- The SEO pagination extension gives each page a unique title. The plug-in works on pages of archives, sections, and categories.
- Simple SEO turns the text from the beginning of a page’s content into the meta description tag in the page’s head.
- Smart SEO will help overcome compatibility issues and page accessibility for category blog layouts, forum pages and other popular components.
- SEO Keyword Factory allows you to improve search engine relevance by creating and maintaining keyword-rich URLs.
- SEO Booster drives traffic back to your site by automatically adding a link back to your original content any time a user cuts and pastes your content. This can improve your site ranking.
- SEO Keyword Link allows you to define keywords, and then automatically adds hyperlinks to the keywords in all your Joomla content. This should help to improve the SEO on the internal pages of your site.
- Custom Page Title SEO allows you to change the page title of an article. This can significantly improve your Search Engine Optimization by using keywords related to individual articles.
- Tag Meta allows you to spend less time on managing meta tags. This extension automates many of the tag title and meta tag processes, making you much more efficient.
These plug-ins, and many others, can be found at the main Joomla site and they will help improve the search optimization ability of your Joomla website. Good search engine optimization can be a time-consuming process and these plug-ins will allow you to increase the success of your site and improve your efficiency.
Posted by admin on May 13th, 2011 :: Filed under Joomla Extensions
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.